Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Great Natick Mall Misadventure

The last few weeks Braden, Gracie and I have been getting into quite a little rhythm - going to class Monday's and Tuesday's, taking walks to town other days or going to the playground.  We come home to eat lunch and take naps.  Sometimes its that simple and sometimes it's more complicated, like today for instance...

Braden had his icky, sticky, gooey class today.  We were 15 minutes late to start.  Should have known that was going to prove we started on the wrong foot today.  Gracie was up at 3:45 and slept next to me the rest of the night, which means I don't sleep well, so when my 8:20 alarm (I know, sounds lovely to those of you without children who wake up in the middle of the night and have to get up to much earlier alarms - but trust me, it feels early!) went off I could barely pull myself out of bed.  Eventually I do.  I head next door to Braden's room where I find him proud and adorable sitting in his bed where he (every morning) announces "I'm reading books in bed!".  He's so good to me.  Reads in bed until I can drag my tired rear end out of bed to face the world.  I get him dressed, stuff some cheerios down his throat and go to get Gracie dressed.  Of course today she's starving and I try to just feed her a few drops until we make it to class where I can feed her more.  And then we're late.  Class went well besides the fact that Gracie fills her diaper beyond its capacity on the drive home which therefore starts a complete scream fest.  We make it home to change the diaper.  Braden nicely stays in the car because we were supposed to leave right away to head to the mall.  He's sitting in his seat while I change her and quickly (a few drops again) feed her so she hopefully won't scream the entire ride to Natick.  Braden's happily sitting in the car yelling orders - I need a drink, I want goldfish, I need my trains.  I obey all the orders and pile us back into the car for our trip to the mall...

We get to Natick and I realize Gracie really needs to eat more than a few drops.  We head into one of those lovely nursing/changing rooms they have in the "nice" part of the mall now.  The first room I look at has something all over the nursing chair.  I looked like some mother sprayed milk all over the place - gross.  Next room.  This one is fine except while I"m sitting there I notice some long dark hair strands on the floor - gross, but at least we're not touching them.  At this point Braden's being a good boy sitting in our huge double stroller eating a muffin.  Of course I think this is a fine idea until I see all the crumbs on him and the new stroller and decide to get all neat freakish and make him get out, shake off and brush off his seat.  I could only envision his new stroller seat looking like his carseat and mildly began to panic - we spent $750 on this stroller - its going to stay spic and span!  Psycho mom, I know.  We manage to maneuver our way out of the bathroom and head down the hall to Stride Rite to find some shoes for our little sports star.  We get to the store and finally get Braden to uncling himself from me and measure his feet...size 9 wide!  This boy has his Daddy's feet.  The sad thing is - he's wearing size 7.5 right now.  Woops!  While this is all going on I smile at my little Gracie and she smiles back and then pushes, and pushes and gushes massive amounts of poop into her diaper.  At this point we are far down the hall from the pretty nursing/changing bathrooms AND Braden isn't confined in his stroller seat.  This spells trouble for me.  He's now standing on the bench in Stride Rite growling and pretending to be a dinosaur.  Gracie begins her howling.  I bribe Braden to leave (without new shoes) to head to the bathrooms by letting him "run".  Mistake!  He runs down through the halls as I'm huffing it with the massive stroller and a screaming 10 week old.  I'm yelling "STOP" every so often while the rest of the mall goers stare at me like psycho mom.  I wish this was the worst of it...

We eventually make it to the nice part of the mall again where I just can't take the screaming from Gracie any more and I pick her up.  I pick her up to find her and now myself covered in green, smushy, baby poop!  The carseats wet, her clothes are soaked and I'm getting covered.  While this is all transpiring Braden is sprinting down the hall - awesome.  I did everything I could to not cry.  Some how one handed I make it into the bathroom and begin to undress the baby.  One of the rooms is locked so we head into the other.  At this point, who cares whats on the seat.  Wouldn't you know, this door doesn't lock.  Gracie is full blown freaking out at this point.  I one handed get out the changing pad try and put her down, she SCREAMS!  What does Braden do - open the door and head for the hallways again.  I scream at him.  Gracie screams.  I realize she must be cold on the mat, so I put her blanket down.  Then I see the amounts of poop all over her clothes and decide I don't want the blanket covered.  Back to the cold mat.  Braden

I get Gracie undressed and leave her naked because at this point I think we are making such a scene that someones going to call child services on me.  All I want is her to not be crying any more.  I stick her on my boob, ignore the fact that Braden is on the floor and start praying for this to end.  Barely.  After she's quiet and I manage to put a diaper on her while she's wrapped in her blanket nursing I go to get her a new outfit and come up empty.  I have nothing for her to wear.  Crap, crap, crap.  Literally.  Thank goodness I moved that blanket because the poor girl had to be wrapped in it for the ride home.  We managed some how to get out of there - I feel bad for the clean up service people because I did the best I could but I was dealing with an escape artist and a poop covered infant.  We make it to the garage and I'm ready to cry.  Gracie doesn't want to be put down, Braden doesn't want to get in the car and I have no choice but to get them both in and drive as fast as I can home.  Poor Braden must think I am the meanest Mommy.  I kept telling him it wasn't his fault on the way home!  Ugh. 

After all of that what did we get at the mall...absolutely nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment